The Clapham and Edwards family

Introduction

This is the story of the Clapham & Edwards family who managed the Halfway House from c1855-1871 and lived there until 1873. This was a busy era as from 1860 onwards was the era of the regular mail coach service between Auckland and Wellington return and from 1866 a mail coach service from Wanganui and Wellington return. The mail coach stopped off at Halfway House twice daily. The Halfway House continued to be used for public meetings and gatherings, and provided accommodation and meals to people travelling along the Porirua road. 

Ian Clapham's family research, partly sourced from Arthur H Carman's book Tawa Flat and the Old Porirua Road 1840-1982 (1982) is that the Clapham's first managed the Halfway House from 1855. Wellington Provincial Council Gazette records of the time which have John McKain at the Halfway House in 1855, 1857, 1858 and leaving it in 1860. McKain died in 1863 and the inquest into his death showed that he had been intemperate for the last five- seven years of his life, so perhaps the Clapham's were helping him out for a time. 

Ian Clapham research

At various stages between 1854-1890 the Clapham's, Edwards and Deihl's leased or held the liquor licences for the public houses Queens Head, Halfway House, Ngauranga Inn, and the Eagle Tavern. Edwards and Deihl each married a Clapham sister therefore the families were entwined. 

Between 1855 and 1857 Sarah and Joseph were the first of the Clapham family to manage the Halfway House licence. They didn't live on the premises.  [Ed. McKain is on record as still living there at this time]. When Joseph died in 1857, his son William Thomas Clapham (1827-1890) and wife Mary Ann nee Bould (1837-1926) managed the Halfway House, initially on behalf of Sarah, until 1865. The lease then passed to William Edwards (1839-1885) who had married Elizabeth Clapham (1834-1923), the daughter of Sarah and Joseph. The Edwards ended the licence in 1871, and the lease ended in 1873.

Ian Clapham, 9 January 1983. Alexander Turnbull Library. [Letter] Ref. TL 3/1/2 1983

Joseph and Sarah Clapham, nee Tomlins

Joseph (1795-1857) was born in Kirkgate, Leeds, Yorkshire, the third-born son of George and Sarah Clapham. Sarah Susannah Tomliens (1794-1865) daughter of Thomas Tomliens and Nancy Jenkyns, was born in London, England. They were married on 18 April 1819 in St Giles, Cripplegate, London. Three of their children, William, Thomas and Elizabeth, are recorded as being born in Middlesex, when the Clapham's were living in Shoreditch.

The children:
Sarah Ann CLAPHAM (1820-1895) m Conrad DEIHL
George Parkinson CLAPHAM (1822-1892)
Ellen CLAPHAM , (1825 - 1891) married Henry THOMPSON
William Thomas CLAPHAM (1827-1890) married Mary Anne BOULD
Thomas Henry CLAPHAM (1829 -1881) married Jane EDWARDS

Alice CLAPHAM (1832-1883), died as an infant in London
Elizabeth CLAPHAM (1834 -1923) married William EDWARDS
Joseph Charles CLAPHAM (1837 -1902) not married

Sarah and Joseph migrated to New Zealand on the ship Birman in 1842 with their seven surviving children. Joseph’s occupation before coming to New Zealand was variously listed as warehouse man or clerk. According to the passenger list, Joseph had applied to Abraham Hort to come to and take charge of Hort's warehouse in Wellington. This was a bonded position. An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand (1966) reference informs that in 1843, Hort had established an importing business some years earlier.  The Clapham family first lived at Te Aro. When Thomas Henry Clapham bought two town acres on Tinakori Rd, Joseph and Sarah later moved to a cottage on one of those sections. They are purported to have held the license for the Halfway House from 1855 to 1857. Joseph died at Tinakori Road on 8 July 1857. Sarah died on 17 March 1865 in Tinakori Road, Wellington at age 70, and was buried the next day in Bolton Street Cemetery, Wellington. 

William and Mary Anne Clapham nee Bould.

William took on the licence of the Halfway House at the time his father Joseph died in 1857, and managed the business, initially on behalf of his mother Sarah. William held the license for the Halfway House until 1865, and he also held the license for the Ngauranga Inn. 

 Thomas and Jane Clapham, nee Edwards.

Thomas and Jane Clapham didn't live at the Halfway House, or hold a licence there, however they are included in this story as they had an important role as Wellington licensee's and cared for the elder Clapham's. Thomas married Jane Edwards (age 20) the daughter of John Edwards and Mary (nee Jones) on 9 March 1854 in St Peters Anglican Church, Wellington. Ian Clapham's research is that Thomas bought the Queens Head Inn by 1854. The Queens Head was located in the triangle wedge on the corner of Murphy Steet and Molesworth Street. It had been advertised for sale by John Stevens in 1852 and 1853. Thomas and Jane built a new house on one of the town acres, where they lived after the Queen’s Head was demolished about 1872. This town acre fronted onto Tinakori Road and ran back to Grant Road. They also held a section on Park Street, on which they built workers cottages and tenanted them. They also held land in the Wairarapa and Manawatu. The Clapham's had 11 children, of which three died young. 

Thomas died on 18 August 1881 at Grant Road, Wellington, age 52, and was buried on 19 August 1881 in Bolton Street Cemetery, Wellington. Jane died on 23 July 1894 at Grant Road, Wellington, age 60, and was buried on 25 July 1894 in Bolton Street Cemetery, Wellington.

The Edwards family

John Edwards, son of Charles Edwards and Harriet Burnside, was born on 27 June 1809 in St Sampson, York, Yorkshire, England. John married Mary Jones, in late 1831 in Wales. The family moved to Birmingham. When their son Robert was born, he was registered in Upper Chelsea, Middlesex, where John's occupation is recorded as a carpenter. On 13 June 1842 the family departed Deptford, London on the Olympus, arriving in Nelson on 28 October 1842. John was 32, and his occupation on the passenger list is carpenter and joiner. In about 1847 the Edwards moved to Taita, where they leased land, built a home, and lived out their lives.

The children:
Jane EDWARDS, b1834 in Wales. Jane married Thomas CLAPHAM
John EDWARDS, b1836 in Birmingham. John married MAry Anne GREY
William EDWARDS, b1839 in Birmingham. William married Elizabeth CLAPHAM
Robert EDWARDS b1841 just prior to departing for New Zealand. Married Eliza BENGE
Henry James EDWARDS b1845 in Nelson, NZ. Died Taita, 1853.
Anne EDWARDS b1847 in Nelson or Taita, NZ. Married Joseph PUDNEY
Thomas Edwards b1852 in Taita, NZ. Married Philadelphia BENGE

William and Elizabeth Edwards nee Clapham

William Edwards (1839-1885), son of John and Mary Edwards, held the license for the Halfway House from 1865 until 1871. They continued to live in the house, as the Provincial Government Gazette of the Province of Wellington, recorded their residence as Halfway House from 1871-1873.

In 1863 William married Elizabeth Clapham (1834-1923) sister of Thomas Henry Clapham. They first lived at Taita, then at Halfway House, and then moved to Whakamara, near Hawera. They both died at Hawera and are buried at Manutahi near there.

The children:
Jane Elizabeth EDWARDS b1866; at Taita
Arthur EDWARDS born 1864 at Taita
Alice Emily EDWARDS b1869
William EDWARDS b1870 at Halfway House
Walter EDWARDS b1871 Porirua Road
Ada Emma EDWARDS b1875 Porirua Road

According to Carman (1982, pp 62-63) William Edwards gave up the Halfway House license in 1871, and farmed nearby section 20, which he had bought in 1871. Section 20 on the Porirua Road was sold to him by public auction on 26 October 1871. “…William Edwards, licensed victualler of Porirua, becoming the new owner at the price of £280." The Sheep Inspector's reports for 1871, 1872 and 1873 show the Edwards as residing in the Halfway House. 

1857

A meeting was held at the Halfway House in 1857 to establish a Wellington Farmers Club.

New Zealand Spectator and Cook's Strait Guardian, Volume XII, Issue 1212, 14 March 1857, p. 2

In 1857 a public meeting was held to audit the Wardens Accounts and other business connected to the District Highways Act.

Wellington Independent, Volume X, Issue 1229, 23 September 1857, p. 3

1859

During the Clapham era, the Halfway House became a regular stop on the mail coach service to and from Wellington. The Auckland General Post Office advertised for tenders for an overland mail service between Wellington and New Plymouth on 1 December 1859 .

Wellington Independent, Volume XV, Issue 1405, 14 February 1860, p. 4

1860

In 1860 a quality stallion draught horse by the name of Nugget was advertised as available to stand at stud every Thursday at Halfway House.

Wellington Independent, 6 January 1860, p. 2

1861

A public meeting was held by settlers in 1861 at the Halfway House to appoint a Board and Inspector to enforce the Thistle Act. About 30 to 40 people were present.

Wellington Independent, Volume XVI, Issue 1503, 8 March 1861, p. 5

"Thomas Walsh was indicted for stealing on the 19th March the sum of £2 the property of James Reid, at the house of William Reeve, Johnsonville. From the evidence it appeared that the prosecutor and prisoner were drinking together at the house of Reeve. The prosecutor was more or less drunk the whole day. Next day the prosecutor complained of having lost his money. It was proved that the prisoner changed a £l note at Clapham's Halfway House, Porirua, on the 19th, and a £1 note at Floyd's house the following day. The prisoner in his defence said that Reid had given him the £2, and that the next day, on the application of Mr. Reeve, he gave up 16s. on being told that if he gave up what he had left nothing more would be said about it. His Honor having summed up, the Jury retired, and, after a short absence, returned a verdict of Not Guilty. The expenses of prosecution in this case were not allowed."

New Zealand Spectator and Cook's Strait Guardian, Volume XVII, Issue 1758, 7 June 1862, p. 3

1863

A Coroner’s inquest was held into the death of an infant in 1863.

"Coroner's Inquest. — An inquest was held on the 21st instant, at the Halfway House, Porirua road, before F.J. Knox, Esq., M. D., Coroner, and a respectable jury, on view of the body of an infant child belonging to Eliza Mudgway. The grandmother of the child and Mrs Barrow, were examined, and after mature consideration, the following verdict was agreed to by the jury, viz.— "That the said female child, daughter of Eliza Mudgway (daughter of Charles Mudgway), died from congestion of blood on the brain in consequence of ignorance on the part of the nurse in the administration of its food."

Wellington Independent, Volume XVII, Issue 1835, 26 February 1863, p. 3

A meeting was held in March 1863 at the Halfway House to elect a Board to manage Public Works through the Provincial Council – this brought on by the indiscriminate firing of felled bush threatening life and property.

Wellington Independent, Volume XVII, Issue 1846, 24 March 1863, p. 3

1864

"NOTICE. Impounded this day, in the Public Pound on the Porirua Road from the land of Mr Joseph Clapham, a dark brown horse, with two white hind feet and white face. No legible brand. If not claimed and released will be sold on Monday, the 8th day of February, 1864, at the Public Pound, at noon. J. Angell, Poundkeeper. Jan. 14, 1864."

Wellington Independent, Volume XVIII, Issue 2010, 16 January 1864, p. 2

In 1864 specifications and plans to construct two Bridges near the Halfway House were available to view at the residence of Mr Clapham.

Wellington Independent, Volume XVIII, Issue 2042, 31 March 1864, p. 2

Electoral Roll 1864-1865. Joseph Charles Clapham, leasehold, Halfway House, Porirua Road.

Ed. note: Joseph was the youngest son of Joseph and Sarah Clapham. He never married, and at the time of his death in 1902, lived at Karori with his nephew A. W. Deihl. He had land at Ohariu Valley.

Wellington Independent, Volume XVIII, Issue 2046, 9 April 1864, p. 5

1865

In 1865 the Halfway House was used for Polls for Elections.

Evening Post, Issue 40, 25 March 1865, p. 2

1866

In 1866 the Evening Post advertised a mail coach service between Wellington and Wanganui and by September a second mail coach was introduced between Wellington and Wanganui.

Evening Post, Volume II, Issue 194, 24 September 1866, p. 2

William and Elizabeth Edwards advertised accommodation in the Wellington Almanack from 1866 to 1868 at Edwards Hotel, Half-way House, Porirua Road – “This well-known House has long been noted for the excellent quality of its Wines, Spirits and Ales, as well as for the comfortable accommodation it affords to travellers. Good stabling."

Ephemera. (1866). Glenside Progressive Assn. Inc. archives

"During the month the Provincial Prizes for rifle shooting have been presented to the Porirua Volunteers. They were presented in the following order by Mrs. Taylor : — 1st prize, Sergeant James Pask, £12 10s. ; 2nd do., Member William Edwards, £7 10s. ; 3rd do. , Member Samuel Greer, £5 ; 4th do., Member William Catt, £3 ; 5th do., Lieutenant James Taylor, £2."

Wellington Independent, Volume XXI, Issue 2360, 12 May 1866, p. 7

1868

The Porirua Rifle Volunteer Company was inspected at the Halfway House on 15 February 1868.

Wellington Independent, Volume XXII, Issue 2627, 25 January 1868, p. 7.

"During the year portions of the Porirua Road have been widened; old bridges have been removed; new ones or culverts being put in their places. The river at the Halfway House threatened to wash away the approaches to the bridge, to prevent which facines have been used, and are likely to prove effective."

Province of Wellington : Acts and Proceedings of the Provincial Council with the printed council papers and acts appended Date Published1868 Issue number Session 16 pp 227-228. [May 15th 1868]

1869

"LOST, on Tuesday, the 9th inst., a Bay Horse, from the Halfway House. Johnsonville, branded H on near shoulder, white SS streak down left thigh. Any person bringing the same to the owner, T. Burrows, will receive the above reward. T. Burrows, Porirua Road."

Evening Post, Volume V, Issue 2, 11 February 1869, p. 3

1871

Carman (1982, p. 63) says that William Edwards gave up the licence of the Halfway House in 1871 after he bought nearby Section 20.

It appears the Edwards continued living in the Halfway House, and farmed sheep, either from that section or from their newly acquired Section 20, as the Sheep Inspectors annual report for 1871, 1872 and 1873 shows William Edwards residing at Halfway House on Porirua Road with, respectively, 11, 124, and 120 sheep. He is not listed in the Sheep Inspector's report as living at Halfway House the following year, so may have ended the lease. 

The Provincial Government Gazette of the Province of Wellington, New Zealand. (1871) Vol. 18. p. 146; (1872) Vol. 19. p. 218; (1873) Vol. 20 . p. 202.

Carman (1982, p. 61) writes that Edward's held onto section 20 until selling in 1878.

1873. Bad floods.

"Yesterday all communication with the Porirua district was cut off by the injury done to the road by the floods. The Wanganui coach was unable to get through, and had to return to town, while the Porirua coach waa unable to get in. This morning the Wanganui coach made a successful attempt to get out by using the old Kaiwarra road, on which some of the greatest obstacles had been removed and Mr Prosser, with great difficulty and after repeated delays, managed to bring his Porirua coach into town by the usual route. The whole of the roadway is reported to be washed away in several places, and most of bridges on the line are badly injured. Opposite Drake's, between Johnsonville and the Halfway House, the water has made a clear breach across the road. It is estimated that the repairs will take at least two months to complete."

Evening Post, Volume IX, Issue 153, 12 August 1873, p. 2