Local residents met at the Glenside Memorial to remember a pioneer settler whose burial site was blessed on this day in 1842 by Bishop Selwyn.
Flowers were laid at the memorial stone as a tribute and two readings were given.
One reading was Bishop Selwyn’s diary notes, in which he writes about camping beside the stream in the locality on the evening of 10th October 1842. The other reading was from a letter written in 1842 by local resident Susannah Wall, describing how the Bishop came to her house and she told him of the burial site and he went with the woman’s husband to bless it.
The residents met at four o’clock in the afternoon, which was the time the Bishop called in at the Wall’s house on his walk north.
The Glenside Memorial is close to where local residents recall the original burial site.